Friday 25 May 2012

Reasons to be Cheerful (Part 2)

1. Sunshine - Here in England we don't get a whole lot of really nice weather. Our idea of a nice day is one where you only have to wear a cardigan instead of a thick winter coat, or when there are loads of grey clouds but it miraculously manages not to rain. So when we get one of these rare summer days, everyone goes to the beach to dabble their feet in the icy water of the English Channel; the BBQ aisle of every supermarket looks as if it's been looted; teenage boys strut around town with their shirts off, thinking they look 'well 'ard'; and suddenly everyone remembers that Pimms is a thing you can buy! There is something extremely, well, British, about British summer, and it is very funny to behold.

2. Getting interesting mail - Normally my post consists of letters from Specsavers telling me it's been four years since my last eye appointment and will I please for the love of God book another one. Or catalogues for things I'm too poor to buy at the moment. So, it's always nice to receive something a little bit out of the ordinary, whether it's something I've ordered online and am very excited about, or a completely random, unexpected gift or postcard. Recently I have been getting little packs of beads and things in the mail, and it's like I've sent a lot of little presents to myself.

Yes, those are majestic unicorn charms...what of it?
3. Getting into bed after a long day - Or a short day, or any kind of day really. I love my bed, and there is nothing better than snuggling up under the duvet and knowing that I have a whole eight hours ahead of me, with which to do nothing at all except for drift off to sleep. Absolute bliss.

4. Song Covers - Some people don't like covers, because they are music purists and they think the only true form of a song can come from the original artist. Or something. Personally, I think covers are great. They can portray a song in a whole new light, or give it a completely different feel to the original. And it's not to say that I don't really love the original song, just that I love hearing other artists' takes on it, too. 

5. The ice cream van - If your inner child doesn't jump up and down and shout 'ICE CREAM ICE CREAM CAN I HAVE AN ICE CREAM?' when you hear that familiar jingly tune...then I don't believe you. Mr Whippy ice cream with a flake and sherbet sprinkles? Knobbly-Bobbly? Blue bubblegum ice lollies? Yes please!! A proper ice cream van ice cream on a hot day is one of life's greatest pleasures.



No comments:

Post a Comment