Wednesday 23 May 2012

My Summer Playlist (Part One)

To celebrate two whole days of sunshine (wow!!!) I have decided to compile a playlist of summery songs. For me, summer is about kicking back and relaxing with a cold drink and generally being lazy and contented...not much different to the rest of the year then, really! But it's also about exploring, adventuring, road tripping and generally making the most of the weather.  So I've compiled a list of songs which I think are perfect for the summer. This is only part one, because it would just be a ridiculously long post otherwise...part of the wonder of technology is that now you can make a playlist of a million songs without worrying if it'll fit onto the CD or tape - just chuck it on the iPod. Bish bash bosh.

Ash - Walking Barefoot 
"We've been walking barefoot all summer" - this upbeat song always gets me in the mood for walking along the beach, it captures that summery mood perfectly (and the disappointment when summer ends, too!)

Beach House - Zebra
Beach house are classified as 'dream pop' and I think that phrase sums up this song perfectly. A dreamlike, nostalgic tune that rises and falls like a carousel ride.

Counting Crows - Miami
The soundtrack to a summer romance. As the summer draws to an end, so does the relationship. "Make a circle in the sand, make a halo with your hand, I'll make a place for you to land." Counting Crows reference angels in a lot of their songs, and this one is no exception.

Eisley - Brightly Wound
This song is so sickly-sweet it's almost ridiculous, but it fits the summer mood. As always, their voices harmonise beautifully, and it's a very pretty song.


Feeder - Seven Days in the Sun
Terrible lyrics aside (hey, it is Feeder) this song is all about going on holiday in the summer and having fun with the people we love, which is something we can all relate to (even if we don't all have a cross-dressing friend named Paula). When this song comes on I can't help singing along.

The Get Up Kids - All That I Know
"All the fish in the ocean, outside my window, under the moon. All the lights in the harbour keep me from sleeping, keep me from dreaming." I think the basic message of this song is, "Dude...no wait, listen dude...what if we're all like, part of everything? Hey, quit hogging the bong!"

The Head and the Heart - Down in the Valley
"I am on my way, I am on my way, I am on my way back to where I started" I love everything about this song, from the violin and the piano, to the ever changing pace, to the way it makes me want to go off on an adventure down in a valley somewhere (preferably in America, but I guess Wales is fine too...)


Phantom Planet - California 
This is a laid back song for a road trip to California, or just driving to Hayling Island beach and pretending you're going to California...either way, it is definitely summery!

The Thrills - Don't Steal Our Sun
I could have included anything by The Thrills really, since all their songs are pretty sunshiny, but since this one literally has SUN in the title, it would have been silly to choose anything else. I love the stompy beat of this song, and it's contagiously happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment