Friday 25 May 2012

My Summer Playlist (Part 2!)

Here's the second half of my summer playlist. To be honest, my actual summer playlist is about ten times as long, but I don't want to bore anyone so I just picked the essential ones!

Sam Cooke - Summertime
Well we need at least one version of this song, because it would have been stupid to miss it off the list - it has summer in the title and everything! I particularly like this version because it is so happy, and Sam's voice sounds like melting caramel. It's summertime, and the living is easy.

Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
I wanted to put something by Fleet Foxes in here. A lot of their songs have a woodsy feel to them, making you want to go for a walk in a forest, but that's more of an autumn thing (don't ask why, it just is!) whereas Mykonos puts me in the mood for a summer journey.


The Rolling Stones - Get Off of my Cloud
I have a memory of me and my friend going for a drive in the summer a couple of years ago, and we had the windows down and this song blasting out, and everything was right with the world. Although it's not really about summer at all, the general message is about wanting to be happy and enjoy yourself without other people (or bad weather) ruining it for you.

The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
It's fairly self-explanatory, really! Also, The Lovin' Spoonful - what a great band name. It always surprises me listening to this, how recent it sounds. You could easily mistake it for a song by a current indie band.


Isley Brothers - Summer Breeze
This is a very funky song. It's okay, I'm allowed to use that word because it's from the '70s. As with the previous song, I don't think I need to bother going into any detail about why I put this on the list. It's about chilling in the sun and feeling fine because the summer breeze is blowing through the jasmine in your mind. What more do you need?

The Eagles - Take it Easy
The soundtrack to a summer road trip. This is one of the songs we listened to a lot on our American road trip, so it always reminds me of long, open roads stretching over the horizon under the endless sky.


Calexico - Crawlspace
Mournful slide guitar. This is an instrumental track without any lyrics, but it is so atmospheric and makes me think of the desert. (Also I made the video in the link!)


The Flying Burrito Brothers - Wild Horses
Well everyone has heard this song, but I chose to put this version instead of the original, firstly because I've already got one Rolling Stones song on this list, and secondly because I think it's a really nice, chilled out version of the song.


The Velvet Underground - Who Loves the Sun
So this is actually quite a sad song, mourning for a broken heart and all that ... but it still has a very summery sound to it, so it still deserves a place on the summer playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment