Tuesday 5 June 2012

An update on my exciting life *cough cough*

A lot of things have happened in the past few days.

I got a volunteer job at a British Heart charity shop. I'll be working two days a week starting on Saturday. I spoke to two people there and they seemed really nice; the whole place has a lovely friendly atmosphere. But apparently, working in the charity shop isn't as simple and gentle as you might imagine. There are tons of shop lifters (yes, from a charity shop of all places!), there is a risk of people sending letter bombs because the charity funds animal testing, they sometimes get donation bags filled with excrement and dirty nappies and all sorts of horrible things, and customers are often very rude and abusive to the staff. Yay fun! I think I can handle it though. I'm a tough cookie.

Anyway, so that at least gets me out of the house and gives me some more work experience. There is also an opportunity to get an NVQ if I stay there for 6 months, as well as meeting new people and being social, which is always fun.

I made £55 selling my jewellery over the weekend. My aunt came round and my mum tipped all my bracelets out on the coffee table in front of her. She bought my rainbow unicorn bracelet, one of the woven ones with blue glass beads, a green glass beaded one, and a red and white one with dice for my cousin Alfie. She also said she'll make me a website, and she has a writing task for me, to write an article for a magazine she is producing. Then the next day me, my parents and my brother went up to Kent for my uncle's 40th birthday party. My aunt (a different auntie this time) had commissioned a necklace, earring and bracelet set for her friend's birthday the next weekend. I made them with moonstones and pearls as these are the birthstones for this month. I really liked how they turned out, and my aunt liked them too. When we were there, my mum used her aggressive sales tactic again, and I sold a few more of my bracelets to other family members.

So now I've almost run out of things to sell, so this week I'll be busy replenishing my stock! I'm thinking I might move my shop over to Etsy so I have more chance of selling things. Etsy is more of a well-known site and has a much wider audience. And shipping something as small and lightweight as jewellery to America would be very cheap, so I'm not too bothered about international orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment